Sunday, October 3, 2010

Alai Oli, holy moly :)


I feel like I'm dancing on clouds today, peaceful and happy feeling that encompassed me yesterday still hasn't left. Cleaned the apartment a bit, washed the floor and managed to get rid of some of my old clothes. Now listening to the MySpace channel of Alai Oli and remembering how...

I was at a party yesterday. In a bit underground-bohemian club called Genialistide klubi. And since it was such a good experience I decided to write about it here -- despite the fact that it has nothing to do with Viking/Iron Age.

It all started with sunshine and a splendid walk with my mom -- picking autumn flowers and sitting on some rocks, letting our face bathe in the sun.

This weekend I was invited to several events. Oh the wonders of Facebook! Suddenly no-one calls anymore, no-one sends you a personal e-mail. Be it birthday celebration or something else -- you get an event notification. I usually ignore them or rather I don't notice them until it's too late. But last week I spent a respectable amount time in FB. Created a Facebook page for our re-enactment group Tarbatu and hence had to wrestle with this abomination called Facebook quite a lot. So I kind of accidentally stumbled upon all those event notifications I had't noticed. Birthday of a friend in Tallinn and exprompt decision to attend that event.

This weekend was a total event-avalanche though. All seemed interesting, so I marked them all "Maybe attending". On Friday an aquaintance who is moving to Island threw a farewell party and another had grand birthday party in Genialistide klubi. And a third one was opening an animation festival at Kastani street, in the same house where Tarbatu's rooms are. But the week had worn me out. Utterly. So after a day-long battle with myself I decided that I'm of no use to myself and anyone else in this condition. And I went home. And slept...

Saturday was no better. Choiced again. Animation festival continuing and all -- a party in the evening and all. But at the same time there was another party in Genialistide klubi -- a party where one of my best friends was DJ. Choices sometimes make you feel that everything is toooooo complicated and maybe it's better to lay back and do nothing. Just be lazy. So I almost decided to be lazy. Ate some stew and lots of watermelon and started to tidy my room a bit. Managed to gather together all my "viking gear" and put it in one place and all. Until my phone rang. And Vahur, another very old friend, was happily telling me that he and his girlfriend Mare are in the town. "What are you doing tonight," he asked. Well, what else, what else, of course I went out with them...

And now the choice was suddenly not only my bane, but a shared burden. And we thought long and hard, to be honest. However, my friend Martin, the DJ, managed to be so convincing whenI called him. He was sooo sure that his party is the best that night. And he was right, oh so right! I have been at reggae-parties where the music doesn't speak to me. Where it doesn't speakt to my body. Where I just sway from one side to another, apathetically. But no soul is not into it. But yesterday was different, very much so. Thanks to DJ Don Erikson, Martin aka DJ Daysleeper and... the greatest, most wholehearted thanks goes to a group from the Urals called Alai Oli.

Their singer Olga reminds me indeed of Amelie frome the movie "Amelie". She has a very happy smile and dreamy face and in is contagious. Their music, their happy-dreamy music spoke to my soul, heart and body and made me move, made me dance. Thank you!

To end this post I'll paste you a Youtube link with one of their best songs -- about Manu Chao. Look at that face!

No comments:

Post a Comment